Amor en Acción prepares groups for mission travel through a series of reflection sessions aimed at preparing each person on a spiritual, cultural and practical level. Groups prepare for service in areas of collaboration in the Dominican Republic and in Haiti, to work in collaboration with local young adults and pastoral leaders in Haiti and Dominican Republic to share with the youngest most vulnerable children, elderly and others of the area. The specific activities that are performed during the mission trip are determined by the local pastoral leaders and developed and led jointly by team members from the local area and team members from Miami. This collaboration enables a cross cultural faith encounter among the leaders themselves.
Mission trip activities include summer camp with faith sharing activities and games for the children, youth group sessions with youth and young adults, language lessons with youth and young adults, or even literacy workshops. Other groups with particular skills such as medical or dental professionals, etc… when available, would be organized to collaborate with local health outreach in underserved areas.
The objectives of short-term mission travel are to:
- Experience the universality of the Catholic faith.
- Increase competence in cross-cultural collaboration.
- Learn and reflect on Catholic Social Teaching.
- Discern the Christian vocation and the call to mission.
- Witness and be a presence of solidarity.
- Learn and reflect on the dynamic of mission-in-reverse.
- Nurture a commitment to peace and justice.